12.19.2008

Whitsitt 1205 -- 50 Years Later


I just had a most amazing meeting. Sitting at my desk reading some Last Letters from martyred missionaries of the China Inland Mission, I heard a knock on the door and a elderly man opened the door and entered. John Griggs, who trained as Southern 50 years ago and who was returning for the first time, used to live in my room. Mr. Griggs is now the Director of Prayer and Missions at First Baptist Church in Morristown, TN. But 50 years ago he lived in my room--watching the library being built out the window (which was completed in 1959). He had served for decades as a missionary in Zambia (not sure if I remember that right). He challenged me with the importance of repentance in salvation, indigenous missisonary work, and seeking the will of God by (1) dying to self, (2) enthroning Jesus as Lord, (3) putting my hand in the hand of my heavenly father as a little child, (4) reading my Bible, and (5) listening to God and obeying Him. These were all on a yellow magnet he gave me before gently and kindly talking through them in an extended challenge to me as a young man. Mr. Griggs then began praying for me without introduction. We took a few pictures--he of me and I of him--then he left to continue revisiting Southern.

Thoughts on this special meeting:
(1) He knew the Bible and was bold to challenge me to know the Bible. He challenged me to rise early and seek God through his Word. His prayer for me was about 75% words of Christ.
(2) God has been faithful to use means like a little room on a quiet campus to raise up countless men [one must wonder about the men who have lived here between Mr. Griggs and I] to preach the gospel. May I be among the faithful to have been blessed with time in Whitsitt 1205.
(3) Mr. Griggs seemed very much like me--though he is an older man now. He met his wife here and talked about the 'Valley of Decision'. As I told him of my engagement, he was quite pleased.
(4) Praise God Southern still holds to the doctrine Mr. Griggs was clearly taught here. Praise God Mr. Griggs still holds and shares that same message.
(5) 'Father, please help Mr. Griggs to finish well. Thank you for his life and its example to me. Father, help me to be faithful to you. Don't let me go astray from you. Use me as you see fit. Thank you for the means of biography in my perseverance in the faith. Bless Mr. Griggs as he continues to remember your kindness to him through Southern. Amen.'

No comments: