7.17.2009

Suemi and I's Vows

I had the joy of writing Suemi and I's vows for our wedding ceremony. They are rooted, first, in Piper's marriage sermons (and now books) which I have listened to repeatedly with great benefit. Second, the vows are rooted in thewording of the Book of Common Prayer (aka traditional vows). I have included them below.

I take you Suemi as my wife,
accepting the divine call
to lead you by protecting you and providing for you,
both physically and spiritually, and
by laying down my life for you
even as Christ did for His bride, the church.
I will love you and cherish you in sickness and in health,
in poverty or in wealth, in every season,
until death separates us.
Suemi, to this covenant, I pledge you my faithfulness.

I take you Ross as my husband,
accepting the divine call
to honor and affirm your leadership
by helping you carry it through according to my gifts and
by submitting to you as I submit to God, hoping and trusting in Him,
even as the church does its Bridegroom, Christ.
I will love you and respect you in sickness and in health,
in poverty or in wealth, in every season,
until death separates us.
Ross, to this covenant, I pledge you my faithfulness.


Suemi, I give you this ring as a sign of the marriage vow I am making with you before God and these witnesses.

Ross, I give you this ring as a sign of the marriage vow I am making with you before God and these witnesses.

2 comments:

While We Wait said...

Love 'em! They're beautiful!!! ~Jill

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Beautiful Ross. So God honoring. I will show John tomorrow. I'm putting you in my favorites at Faith Folk
http://faithfolk.blogspot.com
Nice to see you blogging :) Love, Pam