1.23.2009

Unworthiness

"When the sinner is held back from the gospel by a sense of unworthiness, his worthiness is the implied ground of his coming to the gospel–his work–not Christ’s. When the Christian longs for a deeper view of sin, and love to Christ, and forgets, that, when attained, he will have the same need as before of the blood and righteousness of Christ–this is again to put spiritual self in the place of Christ" (Charles Bridges The Christian Ministry 366).


I find my self feeling unworthy. This, however, makes my worthiness the grounds for my coming to Christ. I begin to focus on my insufficiencies and beg for mercy. But God resists the proud–and what could be more arrogant than to think I will ever discipline myself into a worthy state. With a fresh view of my sin and with a disciplined life, my need remains the same as before–the blood and righteousness of Christ. I cannot take the place of the one who took my place. In him alone can I stand before a righteous judge and live. May God continue to teach me about the sufficiencies of Christ.

3 comments:

Sam said...

Ross, what has been stirring these recent thoughts on unworthiness, legalism, and the gospel? You are definitely giving me a lot to think about. - Sam

Ross Shannon said...

Sam, these are largely older thoughts I need to think more often. Some of these posts I wrote last spring and my mind was drawn back to them due to my sin. Still struggling with these things . . . likely will to some extend for a while. I hope my thoughts serve you in some way. -Ross

Sam said...

They certainly are! We just had our Parent-Teen conference this past weekend. The theme was anger in the home, and Dr. Jim Newcomer was our main speaker. The gospel was clearly presented as our hope to conquer any sin. During the sessions I kept thinking about even when that sin is "defeated" my need for God's grace remains the same. Maybe my arrogance in thinking "If I can just get a hold of this sin (insert any sin here), then I would truly be good in God's eyes," maybe that is the reason why so often we give up and quit. The gospel / God's grace is no where in view. These have been good thoughts.